Re: Goodbye AfterStep for the Nth Time

Patrick E (
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:56:10 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 10:58:12AM -0400, Kirk Bauer wrote:
> 1) Do you like ~/G/L/A dir

Having things like ~/GNUstep, ~/Desktop, whatever, is a pet hate
of mine. I end up patching code for everything to use ~/.gnustep
instead. Sticking this somewhere in the configuration, as an
option, would be nice.

> 2) Do you like multiple config. files ?

It varies.

> 4) Do you like look&feels

Not really important to me. Perhaps a case of "everyone else has

> 5) What other question would you suggest ?
The configure script doesn't actually do much - to install under
/usr/local or whatever, changes have to be made throughout, in
Makefiles, configure.h, the lot. It completely ignores things
like --prefix, and still installs in /usr/share/afterstep - could
this be fixed?
The ~/GNUstep thing bugs me too, and it's the same situation.
Grepping and running a sed script to replace the references.

Afterstep as a whole, though, is great (well, okay, 1.0 ;)

Kudos for suggesting the vote...

Patrick E - Yamaha killer, code spooner and lord of the flies
pre at pre dot org
Opinions expressed herein may not even be those of the author

PS. Only just joined the list, hope nobody minds the criticism.