Re: Goodbye AfterStep for the Nth Time

Patrick E (pre@pre.org)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:56:10 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 10:58:12AM -0400, Kirk Bauer wrote:
>
> 1) Do you like ~/G/L/A dir

Having things like ~/GNUstep, ~/Desktop, whatever, is a pet hate
of mine. I end up patching code for everything to use ~/.gnustep
instead. Sticking this somewhere in the configuration, as an
option, would be nice.

> 2) Do you like multiple config. files ?

It varies.

> 4) Do you like look&feels

Not really important to me. Perhaps a case of "everyone else has
them".

> 5) What other question would you suggest ?

The configure script doesn't actually do much - to install under
/usr/local or whatever, changes have to be made throughout, in
Makefiles, configure.h, the lot. It completely ignores things
like --prefix, and still installs in /usr/share/afterstep - could
this be fixed?
The ~/GNUstep thing bugs me too, and it's the same situation.
Grepping and running a sed script to replace the references.

Afterstep as a whole, though, is great (well, okay, 1.0 ;)

Kudos for suggesting the vote...

--
Patrick E - Yamaha killer, code spooner and lord of the flies
pre at pre dot org                            www.pre.org/pre

PS. Only just joined the list, hope nobody minds the criticism.