Re: A response to myself for the Nth time? :)

Andrew Sullivan (ajsulliv@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:28:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Michael Johnson wrote:

> Um...some people claim they _do_ RTFM and still have problems. I think the
> docs are fine, for people that are used to going through the process of
> mixing what they can find _IN_ the docs with a little instinct,
> initiative, and common sense. User Friendly nowadays is a M$/MAC
> inheritence that seems to be based on the concept of guessing how to make
> things more intuitive as opposed to giving more detailed documentation.
> People are only doing what they are conditioned to do. People want and
> expect, rightly or wrongly, intuitive application interfaces and when they
> don't
> get it they become frustrated with the application/developers regardless
> of how good/bad or whatever the documentation might seem to those who
> write it or use it with great effect.

Well and good.  But since the response time on this list is fairly quick,
and since my own e-mail response time is similar, I find it hard to
believe that people just cannot manage to do any customization.  And, in
any case, several of the complaints -- particularly the one anout the
.steprc -- are totally unjustifiable.  There isn't any way the
instructions, "Initiate AfterStep with 'afterstep -f [your.steprc]',"
could be any clearer.

But I have asked -- repeatedly! -- for questions and suggestions as to
where the FAQ is wanting.  Every time I get such a request, I add the
relevant section.  I don't think it is being too unkind to ask that people
read a few pages; and if they don't understand, they _can_ ask.

A.

Andrew Sullivan
<ajsulliv@mcmaster.ca> <---- worse
<asullivan@sprint.ca>  <---- better