Re: Vote [was: Goodbye AfterStep for the Nth Time]

Gordon Messmer (yinyang@eburg.com)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:30:25 -0700

Maury Merkin wrote:
> For some features, a vote could clarify all this :
> 1) Do you like ~/G/L/A dir ?
> 2) Do you like multiple config. files ?
> 3) Do you like start menu dir ?
> 4) Do you like look&feels ?
> 5) What other question would you suggest ?

1) It's fine, but this stuff should be invisible to users who don't go
looking for it.
2)Yes, easier to edit, but these should also be invisible to users.
3)Actually, I'd like to see standards become standards.  While the
hierarchy is simple, it's also confined to AfterStep (I don't expect
fvwm programers or windowmaker programers or gnome programers to look
for entries in /usr/share/afterstep)  How about accepting RedHat's
modifications, and using /etc/X11/wmconfig?  Remember that if you
support it, they will come.  Be the first to support a standard and the
others will follow.  Lead them  :)
4)Yes, but this should also be invisible (see 5)
5)I would suggest a small control panel to control all of this.  Tabs
across the top for each of the configuration files, and tabs for looks
and feels.  Each look and feel file should be selected under a drop down
list, each behavior and attribute should be represented on the panel.

Remember that the power of configurability should not shadow the ease of
doing so.  Before you tell me that I'm asking too much, I rebutt by
saying that I'm not asking, I'm offering.  I'm a fair programer (I
think), and I'm very willing to contribute to the window manager I use.
I've been in and out of things recently, and I've just completed a move,
but I'm getting back into the swing...

So who was working on that control-panel for AfterStep?  where do I sign
up?

MSG