Re: Strange crash (BUG?) !!!

David Taylor (n9506769@garbo.nepean.uws.edu.au)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:20:31 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, David Mihm wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, David Taylor wrote:
> 	See the FAQ, section 4 part 6 "4.6 Fine, but how do I reduce the
> number of buttons on the titlebar?".  The feel contains the "what to do
> when clicked" of the titlebar buttons, and the look contains "what xpm's
> to use" for the titlebar buttons.  You have removed/added a button without
> removing/adding what to do with the button (or vice versa).

Yep.  Ethan recently responded to me and identified the heinous AS
configuration crime that I had committed.  I have since fixed it and it
looks beautiful (even if I do say so myself).  ;-)

The reason I could not find it in any of the documentation is that it
wasn't in there!  :-(  The documentation/FAQ that came with
AfterStep-1.4.55N6 must have been a little outdated, because there is no
section 4.6 in it.  Section 4 only goes up to 4.5.  :-)

I'll be downloading the newer FAQ as soon as possible.  I guess it
probably has other things extra to the documentation that I have.

Thanks for the help, David.

ps.  If you can answer any of these questions I'd be forever grateful.

Can you give me any pointers on where to begin learning X programming
that's applicable to AfterStep?  I am a C programmer (as well as knowing a
myriad of other half-learnt languages :)

Are there any books particularly pertaining to X programming for Linux?

What libraries, etcetera does Afterstep make use of?

I intend to download the source in the near future and have a browse
through anything that looks simple (aka very small, well-documented
procedures).

I'll probably try writing a swallowable-applet sometime in the future -
does that sound like good starting ground?

Regards,

    _/    _/  | David Taylor                                        |
   _/     _/  | dtaylor@st.nepean.uws.edu.au                        |
  _/    _/    | http://www.st.nepean.uws.edu.au/~dtaylor/index.html |