Re: Saving menu settings in AfterStep

Jonathan Jump (jjump@rhf.bradley.edu)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 01:26:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Jeff Alami wrote:
> > Jeff Alami wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having trouble saving the menu settings I change. For example,
> > > suppose I create a new menu item called NEdit in
> > > ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/start. It looks OK when I restart
> > > AfterStep, but when I restart X, the change is gone! Any ideas?
> >
> >   Make it read only.
>
> I did a "chmod a-w" and it still deletes the files when I startup X.
> Note this is only with files in ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/start and
> associated subdirectories.

I had the same problem after recently installing RedHat.  Copy
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to ~/.Xclients. Then delete or comment out the
code starting after the line:

'# we have to start up afterstep'

and ending before:

'env > "$HOME"/Xrootenv.0' in .Xclients.

Basically you just need a .Xclients file in your home directory that does
it's job and doesn't execute the code I told you to delete. While you are
at it also copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc and modify it to your
liking. Don't be afraid to experiment with either of these files. If you
are not using RedHat there will probably be some differences in the
directory path I gave you, but the solution may still be the same.
Good Luck!

JoNathan JuMp