Re: xmkmf can't find files

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:09:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, David A. Pettit wrote:

> I didn't document all the steps I took, but I know I installed the
> latest updates for Xfree86 3.3.2 (X3323upd.tgz) in blind hope that that
> would take care of the previous problem.  That may be the point at which
> make started coring out on me.  Do you know of any problems with patch 3
> of XF86 3.3.2?  I'll send this to the list in case someone else knows of
> a problem.

Yes.  You'll still have the problem if you re-install without p3.  I
noticed this when I applied the patches through p3 as well; but even just
installing the _required_ files for XFree86 3.3.2 will cause the problem.
For whatever reason, some of your old libraries will be removed and not
replaced. But the developers' stuff (I forget the filename -- this is
mentioned in the latest AS FAQ, though) is listed as an "optional" file,
so you probably won't have downloaded it; and so you'll get the problem.
The solution is to download the developers' libraries, and install them
along with the rest of X.

                                   *  *  *