Re: xmkmf can't find files

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, David A. Pettit wrote:

> If you are refering to X3323prog.tgz, I did download and install it and
> still get core dumps.
> In fact any time I type "make" I get a core dump, in any directory.  It
> apparently gets as far as looking for the Makefile and then gets real
> unhappy.  Seems like I've seen somewhere information on reading a core
> file, but I can't remember where.  Any suggestions?

Yes, I should really apologise for having read carelessly your original
message.  You can read any core file with the "strings" command.  I
usually issue

	$>strings core | less

in order to be able to scroll through the output.  This will often give
you info you don't need, but will sometimes point to the problem.

I found that a made a real muck of several libraries when I upgraded X.
The reason was the way my original distro installed things, combined with
a bit of bad housekeeping on my part.  I wound up having to find several
items which I had accidentally lost.

                                   *  *  *