Re: Vote [was: Goodbye AfterStep for the Nth Time]

Freddy Donckels (Donckels@sia.ucl.ac.be)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:35:31 +0200

Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> That's a good idea but :
>  * I have both a debian and a redhat : debian 1.3 has no /e/X/w
>  * Is /etc/X11/wmconfig a dir like start/ ? (I'm on my debian notebook)
>  * What should we do on non redhat unices // redhat linux ?
> wmconfig will already be full of other options on redhats, while we can do
> whatever we want on our own dir.
>
> I see no problem replacing /u/l/s/a/start by /e/X/w if we keep the same
> possibilities, i.e. system wide options, users own options, ease of adding
> new options.
>
> Is it ok for anyone ?

/e/X/w is not a directies structure but a set of files describing each
component and the menus/sub-menus where they have to appear. All the
informations about one menu/sub-menu option are located in this file. A
program wmconfig transforms this set to produce a directory structure
for as, wm or kde.

Here are two examples of files from /e/X/w

gimp name "The GIMP"
gimp description "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
gimp icon "wilbur.xpm"
gimp mini-icon "mini-wilbur.xpm"
gimp exec "gimp &"
gimp group "Tools/Graphics"