Re: Configuring Afterstep

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:52:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Timothy Dunnington wrote:

> I noticed in some desktop snapshots that you can have messages print to
> the root window directly (or at least that's what it looks like).  How
> is this done?

Most people just copy a matching segment of their background and then use
an rxvt with that partial image as the background, and set the styles so
that the named rxvt has no borders, no handles, and refuses focus, then
they just have tail -f logfile running in there.

There *is* a program called root-tail available which really does write
text on the root window, but it is rather unstable at the moment, and
tends to not handle switching desktops well.  8/

> How do I make an xterm with a cool background?

Xterm doesn't support backgrounds, but rxvt does.  Get version 2.4.6
(which is technically an alpha, but has worked for me forever) from a
search on http://www.freshmeat.net.