Re: 1.5 pre 7 [Correction]

Stephen Davies (scldad@sdc.com.au)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 14:29:05 +0930

> On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, David Mihm wrote:
>
> ! On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Stephen Davies wrote:
> ! ! As noted in the TODO2 file, there are problems with the version of asmail
> ! ! included with 1.5pre7.
> ! !
> ! ! When looking for the config file, it looks in $HOME + AFTER_DIR but AFTER_DIR
> ! ! has been defined as "~/G/L/A" so the result is "/home/foo~/G/L/A" which fails
> ! ! for obvious reasons.
> ! !
> ! ! What is not so obvious is why it also fails if you remove the $HOME bit
> ! ! leaving "~/G/L/A".
> ! !
> ! ! I finally just redefined AFTER_DIR to just "/G/L/A" and the result works.
> !
> ! 	This might break other things - did it for you, or have you
> ! re-compiled the entire tree with this defined as such?  I simply added a
> ! local definition to the asmail.c (where it was before & without the ~
> ! <tilde>).
> !

That is what I did too. AFTER_DIR seems to be used all over the place where
the ~ is expected/needed so I just added the local define.
Given that the tilde construct does not work in asmail, will it work in the
other cases? If so why and why not in asmail??

> ! ! Also, I defined my pager (using a config script response) to have ony three
> ! ! desktops. The result is three "normal" desktops plus one with no title and no
> ! ! colour. How can I make this "blank" desktop go away?
> !
> ! 	I pressume you mean during the ./configure.  Did you say 3 or 3+1
> ! when prompted.  The correct answer for 3 desks would be 3.  I'm not too
> ! sure what the +1 is all about, but if you didn't enter 3 and accepted the
> ! 3+1; I guess we found out.
> !
> ! 	One other thought, is the autoexec file have a (correct)"Pager 0
> ! 2" or an (incorrect) "Pager 0 3"?  Check your menu Entry for Pager as
> ! well, and correct it if need be.
> !

I cannot remember exactly what I entered but I doubt that it included any +1.
I would guess either just 2 or just 3.

Anyway, my autoexec wound up with "2+1-1" as the Pager tag in the InitFunction
and "0 3" in the RestartFunction. I changed both to "0 2" but the blank desktop is
still there. I have also commented out all references to the fourth desktop in
pager with no effect.

> ! ! What is the little yellow rectangle that I can just see at the very bottom of any
> ! ! desktop containing a window? It is so low on the screen that I can only just
> ! ! see it and nothing that I can do makes it do anything.
> !
> ! 	Those would be the iconified apps that you have on your big
> ! desktop, represented in miniature form. :)
>
> 	Okay, so this might not be what you are referring to.  In your
> pager file modify/add this: BalloonYOffset  -1 (remove the # if it's
> there) And you should see that it is a balloon.
>
> [thanks go to Ethan for making me rethink my first response, see what you
> are missing when not in #afterstep] :)

Thanks to both of you. The above mod makes the ballon tip visible. Useful (I
think).

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen.

Stephen Davies Consulting	    		                            scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.     			                            Voice: 61-8-82728863
Computing & Network solutions.	 	                            Fax: 61-8-82741015