Re: Setting up sound

John Gruenenfelder (
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:24:21 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Andrew Edelstein wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 08:52:17AM -0400, Jason Welsh wrote:
>> Thats exactly whats happening to me, i have sound working, but sound in
>> afterstep just isnt happening. I have verified that the showaudio command
>> does work and plays sounds.
>I seem to recall someone mentioned eariler that ALL of the sound files in
>~/G/L/A/audio have to be present, or Audio will error out and won't play any
>of the sounds. This is reasonable, as I've noticed my AS isn't playing any
>sounds either, I just haven't had the time to devote to figuring out why. I
>did notice G/N/L/audio was specifiying sounds that weren't there, but haven't
>bothered to fix it yet.
>Andrew Edelstein

I am using AS (source) and I have noticed that AS now comes "out of
the box" with sound off.  To turn it on just add a line to your autoexec:

        Module  "I"     Audio

and that should turn it on.  If you have sounds that aren't present then you
will get an error on the console from the audio player (if it generates
errors), but the sound will continue to function fine.

--John Gruenenfelder
Elrond, Duke of URL
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max