RE: Crashes...

Albert Dorofeev albert@mail.dma.be
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 14:19:52 +0200 (CEST)

David Taylor writes:
> 2. Weird crash
> ==============
> I have another problem - a strange quirk (it's happened twice).  This
> one also involves X and AfterStep dying (but only if netscape was open
> before the crash).
>
> When I restart again (startx) a weird phenomenon occurs.  If netscape
> was running before the crash, I can see on wmload's CPU load bar that
> the CPU load is now constantly at a maximum.  I then look in top and see
> that two processes are gobbling all the CPU and memory (two netscape
> communicator processes).

This has to do with the Netscape. When you quit X windows
Netscape does not quit and becomes a zombie process. It
consumes a lot of resources all right. The only cure for
this one is to exit Netscape before exiting X windows.
If X crashes, you should check for Netscape zombie and
kill it manually.

--
Albert Dorofeev  < albert @ mail.dma.be >   http://bewoner.dma.be/Albert/
http://bewoner.dma.be/Albert/pgp.asc    C949D0F341FA8CD8 E95C6AD4F16D6515