Re: Setting up sound

Brian E. Seppanen (seppanen@pconline.com)
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 17:40:21 -0500

John Gruenenfelder wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Andrew Edelstein wrote:
>

> >I seem to recall someone mentioned eariler that ALL of the sound files in
> >~/G/L/A/audio have to be present, or Audio will error out and won't play any
> >of the sounds. This is reasonable, as I've noticed my AS isn't playing any
> >sounds either, I just haven't had the time to devote to figuring out why. I
> >did notice G/N/L/audio was specifiying sounds that weren't there, but haven't
> >bothered to fix it yet.
> >
> >--
> >Andrew Edelstein
>
> I am using AS 1.4.5.55N6 (source) and I have noticed that AS now comes "out of
> the box" with sound off.  To turn it on just add a line to your autoexec:
>
>         Module  "I"     Audio
>
> and that should turn it on.  If you have sounds that aren't present then you
> will get an error on the console from the audio player (if it generates
> errors), but the sound will continue to function fine.

Thanks for the help.  I'm not sure what exactly did it.  But I copied my
audio file from
/usr/share/afterstep to /G/L/A.  I then commented out the sounds that
were not in my sounds directory.  I then added Module "I"  Audio to my
autoexec in /G/L/A, and it works fine.  Customizing afterstep was one of
those things I'd been waiting to do for awhile but hadn't gotten around
to working on it, so I'm glad that when I did it wasn't a chore, and I
was able to find help so easily.

Thanks,
Brian Seppanen
seppanen@pconline.com