Re: www.afterstep.org

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Rob Hoyle wrote:

> > On 19 Aug 1998, Kristoffer Tveit wrote:
> > >
> > > And of course the option to browse it with _no_ (or very litle)
> > > graphic intensity. (Something every serious web-page should have)
> > >

> > I agree!  Make sure it looks good in Lynx! (The web browser of champions,
> > and people with slow computers)
> >
> > JD
> Ok....
>
> Well, It seems to me, that making an Afterstep site that wasnt extremely
> intensive with graphics would be like running afterstep but, staying on
> the virtual consoles.  Why would you make a site dedicated to a GUI, and
> then just have text talking about it.  I think the site should be as full
> of AS graphics as possible, (THUMBNAILED) so that people can see what a
> beautiful thing Afterstep really is.

The problem with graphics-intensive sites is that they take forever to
load - and that is unacceptable when the all the user wants is a copy of
the latest AfterStep, or the latest FAQ, or info on how to join the
mailing list, or ...

I agree, good-looking graphics are a must, but please support people with
slow net connections too!  Remember that they often use lynx, or Netscape
with auto-load-images off, to conserve bandwidth.

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1