Re: It's spelled "A f t e r S t e p", but it's pronounced "BloatStep"

Gordon Messmer (yinyang@eburg.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:59:59 -0700

Byron Brummer wrote:

> baggage.  On my P5/200 with 64 Megs it can take quite a few seconds (up to
> 15?!) to switch between workspaces which also causes an effect on the
> display very similar to when the manager is restarted.  This makes multiple

I had that problem once, but it was because of my 2MB+ fullscreen
backgrounds, hardly AfterStep's fault.  I knew why switching was slow,
and I made the decision to do it because I liked the way it looked.

> workspaces less then worthless, and this is only one area of *massive*
> bloat...  Just starting an *xterm* now takes number of seconds that in v1.0
> came up in a nano-second...

Try using lighter-weight background/look settings.

> Afterstep v1.0 was very clean, pretty light weight, fast, and useful.  The
> new releases however, are *huge*, bloated, slow, and add few really useful

You can turn most of those features off.

> features for the massive cost they take from the system.  Hell, MS Windoze
> 95/NT are *much* faster on the same hardware, and more useful... :-(

Excuse me?  More usefull?  I WORK in Linux.  I run afterstep over KDE
and other desktops because it suits the way I work.  The only reason I
boot Windows EVER is to play games.  (I haven't tried to set up Wine,
but I may someday :)  I'd hardly say that it's more useful.

MSG