Re: It's spelled

Steve Williams (smw_patriot@hotmail.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:13:46 EST

Umm...you're doing something wrong.  I'm running the latest AS beta and
have run most of the version from 1.4, up.  If anything it's faster:
 p100-64 megs of RAM, xterm comes up in less than a second.  Switching
between desktops is painless and instantaneous.

 I recently upgraded to 96 megs of ram, things are even faster.  If you
have a P5/200 with 64 megs of RAM and it's slow, then it's not the fault
of AS.

>Subject: It's spelled "A f t e r S t e p", but it's pronounced
"BloatStep"
>To: afterstep@linuxcenter.com
>Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:13:17 -0700 (PDT)
>From: byron@omix.com (Byron Brummer)
>

>Why is Afterstep getting so bloated?!
>
>I've been using v1.0 for quite some time, and love it.  I upgraded to
1.4
>and later to 1.4.5 and ran that for about a month before finally giving
up
>on it and reinstalling v1.0.  I am now moving to WindowMaker, as
Afterstep
>is killing itself... :-(
>
>Why is v1.4.* so *incredibly* bloated and slow compared to v1.0?
>
>The more I look at the new Afterstep, the less I like it.  More and
more
>features are added that are of little use or at least questionable use
>(different settings for each work space...?) and add huge amounts of
>baggage.  On my P5/200 with 64 Megs it can take quite a few seconds (up
>15?!) to switch between workspaces which also causes an effect on the
>display very similar to when the manager is restarted.	This makes
multiple
>workspaces less then worthless, and this is only one area of *massive*
>bloat...  Just starting an *xterm* now takes number of seconds that in
v1.0
>came up in a nano-second...
>
>I am very, very disappointed to see the direction that Afterstep has
taken.

>Afterstep v1.0 was very clean, pretty light weight, fast, and useful.
The
>new releases however, are *huge*, bloated, slow, and add few really
useful
>features for the massive cost they take from the system.  Hell, MS
Windoze
>95/NT are *much* faster on the same hardware, and more useful... :-(
>
>With the upcomming GNOME support this is probably just going to get
much,
>much worse.  Not that GNOME is a bad thing at all, I just don't think
AS
>can handle *any* more "features"...
>
>As a long time Afterstep user, I hate to say it but I'm moving to
>WindowMaker.  With all the useful features plus some (drag and drop,
etc)
>I looked for in the newer AS, with none of the bloat (*faster* then
ASv1.0, as