Re: www.afterstep.org

Michael K. Neylon (mneylon@engin.umich.edu)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 08:17:59 -0400

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 08:41:38PM -0700, Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, David Mihm wrote:
>
> > 	Yes, there isn't really a need to have multiple pages determined
> > by a "browser detection facility", just creating validated html v4.0 will
> > fullfil the lynx requirement.
>
> I could always put something in my code to take you to one page if you're
> using lynx, and another for netscape/gui browsers.

This won't work reliably if one visits the page using Netscape or
IE with JavaScript disabled (common situation), or if the graphical
browser doesn't support JavaScript.

It's better to just do HTML4.0, and test frequently in Lynx.  Excess
of graphics with appropriate alt text is quite livable as long
as the content is there and easily accessible.

--
Michael K. Neylon, UM ChE Grad  | "..Besides, as an engineer, I've
mneylon@engin.umich.edu         |  never actually spoken to [a woman]