Re: It's spelled "A f t e r S t e p", but it's pronounced "BloatStep"

Tomas Duewiger (td@music-satellite.de)
21 Aug 1998 08:21:30 +0200

byron@omix.com (Byron Brummer) writes:

> Tomas Duewiger <td@music-satellite.de> wrote:
>
> > Ok, you have to compile them and to download them, but that's all,
>
>         So, is this an option or define I can set in the makefile, or
>         do I need to start hacking the source to turn stuff off?

What I meant is, that you don't need to use most of the features, because
the most of them have to be called. Some option can be changed in the
configure file, even more in the pre6-9 versions.

> > after that AS even works without wharf, needless to mention that it will
> >work with only one pager, without winlist,
>
>         Winlist I've turned off.  I only ran one pager, but with 4
>         workspaces each having one virtual window. -I was trying to get
>         the same effect as a v1.0 pager with 4 virtual windows with the
>         simple added feature of Alt-Tab cycling only through the current
>         virtual window.

The Alt-Tab thing is the default IIRC.

>         However, even with a simple static color background switching
>         workspaces (not virtual windows) is quite painful, so much so
>         it renders them useless.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far
>         as I can tell there is no way to map all the workspaces to the
>         same set of attributes.  Because of this, even if the attributes
>         are all the same for all the workspaces, they still each have
>         to maintain there own copy, which is very expensive.

That really sounds like there is something wrong with your X server. Or
you have configured AS to use different configurations on each
workspace. I also use AS on an old 1MB Trident VLB graphics adapter and
switching between workspaces is very fast (BTW it's an 486 with
16MB). When Netscape or another huge app is running it takes some time to
redraw the app's window, but that is not the problem of AS.

>         When I ran one workspace it wasn't too bad, but then there was
>         no advantage over 1.0.

I just tried again (I can't believe it ;-) ) and also on this mashine
running AS 1.4.5.55N6 with 4 pagers redrawing the background with a
pixmap, running XEmacs with Gnus to write this mail and some rxvts open on
a 486 with a 16bpp X server it switches fast. The window borders are the
first things that appears. And I don't have to wait.

> > Because you may not have tried to configure it to your needs? I use
> >several AS setups and some on really slow mashines. If you don't use the
> >default setup, you can speed it up that it is faster then fvwm,
> >windowmaker and all that wm's.
>
>         Got a pointer to where such configuration can be done?
>
>         I've tried taking out most all of the modules in the Imakefile as
>         well as the apps (many are filled with Linuxisims anyway so I
>         can't use them on FreeBSD).  I've tried turning off anything that
>         looked expensive in configure.h without much luck either.  -Why,
>         BTW, are the simple user level configuration settings set in
>         configure.h at compile time? This makes a site wide install
>         needlessly problematic.  Shouldn't they really be in GNUstep or
>         .steprc?

It's easier in the 1.5preX versions. But in general if you only avoid many
pixmaps in windows, on buttons and the wharf you can speed it up. And of
course animate and audio takes a lot of resources. I compiled all that
stuff and if someone here don't want it they can delete the line in their
autoexec file. Someone here is playing around with Gnome and he uses a
small AS setup, I didn't benchmark it, but to me it seems even faster then
icewm, but much smoother.

>         >snip<
> > As I said, you missed it to take some time to configure it. You can
> >modify the new versions the way that they behave like AS 1.0 in the most
> >ways.
>
>         As I said, if I wanted v1.0 I'd run v1.0.  v1.0 quite simply
> rocked.

Ok, you win ;-)

>         >snip<
> > Yeah move to windowmaker, but stop whining only because you didn't have
> >tried to configure AS.
>
>         I've tried, almost daily for about a month tweaking new stuff each
>         time and diving into the source at times.  No luck.  The only
> things
>         I saw that could be done involved major rewrites, which is why I
>         don't like the direction AS has taken.  Adding new features is
> good.
>         Adding new features without proper design and forethought so that
>         the rest of the system doesn't suffer is not good.  "Optimizing"
>         after the fact is a kluge at best to make up for a faulty original
>         design.

But then you will have no fun with WM I think. The advantage of AS is IMO
the way you can configure it. AS is much more configureable then WM with
configuration files. Of course you have to know what you like and what
not, for me it wasn't a problem to configure AS to my needs even without
changing one line in the sources and also without thinking that the wm is
slowing my mashine down.

Tomas

--
Tomas Duewiger