Re: undefined symbol?

Gordon Messmer (yinyang@eburg.com)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 20:16:41 -0700

petitcm wrote:
>     I get this error message when I use startx:
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6: undefined symbol: _Xglobal_lock".  This
> was just annoying when I first installed X (precluding me from using
> certain programs: X was working with twm) but this is now really bad
> (since I "installed" Afterstep) as I can't start X anymore.. I am using
> RedHat 5.1, normal complete installation from the CD, with Accelerated-X
>
> 4.1 server.

Do you have any of the XFree86 packages installed?  I don't know that
the XFree and XAccel server libraries are binary compatable.  If XAccel
and XFree are installed in different directories (XFree in /usr/X11R6
and XAccel in /usr/XAccel) you should be able to use these programs
without problems.  You should only need the XFree86-libs package
installed for this to work.  Otherwise you could recompile the offending
programs  :)

MSG