Re: Another Newbie

Martin A. Marques (
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:00:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Michael Micelli wrote:

> Greetings,
>      I just recently installed AS.  It seems to be a great WM, other
> than the fact that it is completely confusing to configure.  I also have
> these problems with sound that others were having in earlier threads.

I personaly avoid sounds, they don't work very good, and makes my sistem
look like a winslow box.
>      I have to agree with doug, that there are no good AS newbie help
> files.  They assume I understand terms like swallowing(which I
> don't(unless it's the way Icons slide out from the sides)), Sticky
> icons(huh?), and other things.

I've had lots of hard thinking around the swallow issue,  I couldn't
figure it out. Sticky is for something that stays on the desktop your on.
Very good for things like wharf or xconsole.

>      I have managed to change backgrounds, icons, add icons to the
> wharf, and many other things, but I still have questions.
>      For instance, now when I try to change the background, everything
> disappears, and I have to exit via [ctrl]+[alt]+[backspace].  What's up
> with that?

Yes I've had the same problem but don't know where it comes from.
>      Also, I moved my pager to the wharf, but they are stacked one on
> top the other.  Is there any way to make them slide out like the program
> files?
>      I do not agree completely with Mr. Dunbar.  I think the program is
> very nice, but could use some work.  I have used FVWM, and if all you're
> looking for is functionality, then that's the one for you :P  I,
> however, Think that there is a reason it's called a GRAPHICAL user
> interface.  I like nice looking customizable WM's.
>      As for the distribution issue (or non-issue), I personally prefer
> Slakware.  But the best distribution is the one you're most happy with.

I think this list is not to discuss about the best Linux distribution or
the best wm, or worst if we should use sun workstations or PC (I work on a
PC, but if someone wants to donate a Sun workstation, I'll be pleased.

I'm sorry for my long windedness, but it's my first post :) I
> would also like to apologize for the stuff that Hotmail is going to add
> to the end of this, but it's the only way I can get this post at home
> and work.

Don't worry, it's not so big, and I get tons of them. :-)