Re: Afterstep directoy hierarchy ...

Mehul Sanghvi (mehul@ziplink.net)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:42:06 -0400 (EDT)

Dagmar d'Surreal
> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
>
> That's odd.  xiterm comes with AfterStep, or at least it did.  I see where
> you're coming from though.  I use NXTerm personally, since it's already
> installed on most machines as color_xterm, and works a little better,
> IMHO.

I believe you are right it does come with AS.  I didnt see it until 1.5pre9.
Thanks for pointing it out though.

> >     The fact that everything is under /usr/local/afterstep will make it easier
> > to provide tar balls on the various platforms I am trying to build on.
> > hopefully it is not a bad idea to do make the changes.  In fact it would be
> > nice to make that the default value for the directories.
>
> This I don't see at all.  Different systems/distributions have different
> places for storing their files, and while it might make sense for you to
> put things into /usr/local/afterstep (Let me guess, you're a RedHat user)

Nope.  I dont have a particular Unix system that I work on.  I work on a
varity of them which from xenix to solaris 2.6 to unixware 7 to linux to
mklinux.  My choice for using /usr/local/afterstep came after seeing the
latest Apache 1.3 stuff.  The Apache group has pretty much gotten everything
to go under /usr/local/apache.  Considering all the apps and stuff that come
with AfterStep I though it might be a good idea to do something similar here
as well.

> for other people, the logical choice might be /opt/afterstep (HP-UX would
> do this), /etc/afterstep, /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep (where I put mine), or
> some other location.  It really doesn't matter where the stuff is
> installed as long as the binaries are either in your path, or symlinked to
> same.  If you want to change the default installation directories, just
> edit the configure script.  It's easy to find the places to change.

I agree with you that diffrent people will put things in diffrent places
depending on the system they are on.  But then like you say,  it really does
not matter since most people will be able to make a symlink between
/usr/local/afterstep and wherever it is that they want to really keep it.

mehul

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi email: <mehul@ziplink.net>
www: <http://www.ziplink.net/users/mehul/>