Re: Afterstep directoy hierarchy / 1.5pre9 bug.

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:59:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:

> Nope.  I dont have a particular Unix system that I work on.  I work on a
> varity of them which from xenix to solaris 2.6 to unixware 7 to linux to
> mklinux.  My choice for using /usr/local/afterstep came after seeing the
> latest Apache 1.3 stuff.  The Apache group has pretty much gotten everything
> to go under /usr/local/apache.  Considering all the apps and stuff that come
> with AfterStep I though it might be a good idea to do something similar here
> as well.

This is not something I really meant to be echoed back to the mailing
list, but anyway, it won't drift too far off-topic folks, I promise.

The Apache group is not a very good example to follow.  They've changed
the default location for installation of the daemon on more than one
occasion, and you will note that they still leave the capability for the
user to install the daemon into /home/httpd if they want to.  Since this
makes very good sense (it runs as it's own user, it's a cousin to ftpd,
etc) there is a very large camp of people who would fuss if they took this
out.  IMHO, AfterStep is a very nice windowmanager, but not so large or
important to system functionality that it needs it's own directory in
/usr/local.  /usr/local/bin/afterstep would seem more apropos to me, but
then, that's why I use /usr/X11R6/bin or /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep
depending on my mood.

> > for other people, the logical choice might be /opt/afterstep (HP-UX would
> > do this), /etc/afterstep, /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep (where I put mine), or
> > some other location.  It really doesn't matter where the stuff is
> > installed as long as the binaries are either in your path, or symlinked to
> > same.  If you want to change the default installation directories, just
> > edit the configure script.  It's easy to find the places to change.
>
> I agree with you that diffrent people will put things in diffrent places
> depending on the system they are on.  But then like you say,  it really does
> not matter since most people will be able to make a symlink between
> /usr/local/afterstep and wherever it is that they want to really keep it.

Let me put it this way.  You can change the configure script, or you can
tell it /usr/local/afterstep when you install it, so why fuss?

----

Okay.  I've got 1.5pre9 installed and running now, although I had to go
and reinstall X11R6 first (some blasted thing nuked my Project.tmpl file
so xmkmf no longer worked!).  Right off I notice something that I don't
care for.  The manner in which the text outlining for text mode 1 is done
has been changed.  Now it apparently draws each character's outline,
then the character, proceeding from left to right.  This causes the
outline of proceeding characters to partially overwrite previously drawn
glyphs, and makes for a rather nasty effect.  This seems to affect all the
psuedo-3D modes now.  (Isn't it *slower* to do it this way?)

Other things which appear to not work right:

* MaxSwallow is inappropriate for asclock in the default wharf
  configuration.  Using -shape with this causes that particular wharf
  tile to be squashed.  Changing to swallow fixes this.

* MaxSwallowModule as are calling both ascd and asmixer in the default
  Wharf configuration is completely broken.  Neither application will
  properly start when using this directive.  (change to swallow)

* Icon titles don't properly come to the top when you put the mouse over
  them.

* Configure script asks about the number of desktops, but the answer you
  give is apparently discarded.  It's still making 4 2x2 desktops by
  default.

The bug I just reported for pre7 is apparently still in pre9, but I'm
rebulding my look file from one of the newformat ones, since there appear
to be a few things I've not set which may need to be.

More later...