Re: Afterstep-1.4.5 bugs patches and suggestions

Guylhem Aznar (ciguylhem@barberouge.linux.lmm.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:17:52 +0200

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 03:55:09PM +0200, Volker Ossenkopf wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> to patch the source to make afterstep useable again. Some of my
> changes are probably no more relevant for the new pre-1.5
> releases but some could be taken as general ideas for the
> further development.

Ok

> 1) Mouse buttons. In 1.4.5 the Pager requires button 1 instead
> button 2 for dragging windows. This is in contrast to the man

already fixed

> 2) Focus=Autoraise is a matter of taste (I don't like it)
> It were fine if one could configure that.

already fixed

> 3) Menus - configure.c: It is quite inconsistent which
> internal Popups are checked to be additionally available
> as directory and which aren't. "Desktop" and "quit" are
> checked, "Pictures" and "Start" are not. I made a system
> using that non-checking. Exploiting the fact that only the
> first definition of a Popup is used one can set up a hierarchy
> of menu definitions with much more flexibility than in the
> current scheme: the last definitions should be the internal
> hard-wired definitions which can be overridden by experianced
> users with their personal definitions.

being fixed ; try pre10

> added the direct read of a file G/L/A/menudefs (if existing)
> which has the normal structure as in startmenu. This approach
> is completely compatible with the existing definitions and
> provides the freedom of choice for the method of the menu
> definitions to the user. Arbitrary configuration combinations
> are possible.

What do people here think about this ?

I wouldn't think start/modules/menus/ subdirs would be a good idea : a
start menu can change often, unlike a window menu.

> I can send the patches to interested people whenever I must admit
> that 1.4.5 is not the latest step so that it might be more
> appropriate to apply the ideas to the recent development versions.

:)

> Best wishes
> 		Volker

Please try 1.5beta1 (aka 1.5pre10) and tell me if it works as you would
expect.

I'm going to send 1.5beta1 tonite ; everyone should try it : it's very
stable, at least more stable than *any* 1.4x

It is also faster and uses less memory.

> Volker Ossenkopf    KOSMA (Kölner Observatorium für submm-Astronomie)
> Tel.: 0221 4703485                    1. Physikalisches Institut der
> Fax.: 0221 4705162                               Universität zu Köln
> E-Mail: ossk@zeus.ph1.uni-koeln.de

       "Letting people bear arms is letting them kill our children"
		   Enlever rrremovethis / Remove rrremovethis
      Salut / Best regards, Guylhem AZNAR <guylhem@rrremovethis.oeil.qc.ca>