Re: AS: Metro vs XFree?

Guylhem Aznar (ciguylhem@barberouge.linux.lmm.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:59:07 +0200

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 07:27:12PM +0000, Ben Tracy wrote:
> I know nothing of KDE, but I would hazard a guess in relation to the other
> two is that the high memory usage has to do with the features that those
> wms have that AS does not.  (This is particularly true of E.)  The same

Right, E has features to explain skyhigh memory usage

> could probably be said for KDE.  IMHO, all at least WM and E are the

But say, what features k9wm has fvwm hadn't ? :)

> victims of what I would consider feature bloat.  But hey, some people like
> those features, and if they don't whine about the memory usage, then more
> power to them.

Ok

> AS uses the least memory not necessarily because it is the best coded, but
> more because nobody's attempted to hack the source to add unnecessary
> stuff.  Don't get me wrong.  I _like_ that about AS.  I would hope that

:=) Just browse the sources, you'll see how many unnecessary features we've
added. But it's still clean because most are compile time options and code
is ~ nice.

Try BACKWARDS option to revert everything :)

> the priorities for development after the release of 1.5 would not be
> adding new features, but more on stability.  (I bet I have to relogin
> to X once a work day or so because AS 1.4.55N6.42.QZ.partridge.pear_tree
> bites the dust.)

I won't maintain AS during 1.6 devel, but I hope it'll have more features
*&* more stability.

> Cheers!
> Ben

Bye

--
____/|  "Letting people bear arms is letting them kill our children"
\ o.O|            Enlever rrremovethis / Remove rrremovethis