Re: beta1 bugs?

Tomas Duewiger (td@music-satellite.de)
30 Aug 1998 08:16:23 +0200

Andrew Sullivan <asullivan@sprint.ca> writes:

> I installed in the default location (_please_ add a note to the README
> mentioning that this has changed from the old defaults -- many users will
> be confused when they are still getting their old version), but I wanted
> to stick with my old configuration location.  While the install script
> accepted the location I gave it, it never did move the stuff from
> [AS-sourcepath/afterstep] into the config location.

This is because of a type mismatch in the install.script it has to be
install.all not install-all. So make; make install; make install.all; make
install.man will work.

> Also, the install script asks how many extra desktops you want.  I asked
> for 1, but still have four.  (This is merely an annoyance, which I will
> fix manaully; it's obviously related to the problem above.)

No it seems to be a pager problem again.

> The real problem arises if I try to change backgrounds.  For instance, if
> I try to change to one of the other XPMs in the decorations sub-menu, AS
> crashes, and I get
>
>  Can't draw in pager window non xpm files X Error of failed request:
> BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request: 7 (X_ReparentWindow)
>   Resource id in failed request: 0x1c0000c
>   Serial number of failed request: 1541
>   Current serial number in output stream: 1544 X Error of failed request:
> BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request: 38 (X_QueryPointer)
>   Resource id in failed request: 0x1400008
>   Serial number of failed request: 103
>   Current serial number in output stream: 103

Could it be that this got something to do with autoconf instead of xmkmf?
I don't know, but to me it seems that there is a problem with the
xpm-libs.

> I also get core files as a result (if anyone wants one, I'll ship it
> along).

I also got lot's of them ;-) I also could ship a make-log with some
warnings.

I tried to install beta1 on two mashines and got different results. Also
the bug reports here in the list sounds very different. I got one
installation running without any problems and one that doesn't work at
all. IMO that makes it hard to recreate any errors.

Tomas

--
Tomas Duewiger
td@music-satellite.de