Re: Setting up sound

Andrew Sullivan (ajsulliv@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:20:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> If you find sound bugs, please fix them or report them.
> The only bugs I've ever heard :
>  * old versions missed a "*" in audio file
>  * startup sound is used for shading

I doubt the problem is really a bug.  I suspect it's actually a system
problem, especially since many people use showaudio.  All that is really
happening in showaudio is a cat of the relevant sound file to the sound
card (/dev/audio).  Naturally, since this is possibly a slow device on a
slow bus, too many audio events will overrun each other, and so one does
not get all the sounds one expects, and they don't all come in a
predictable way.  Moreover, since there isn't any "central system sounds
arbitration"  (or call it what you will -- I just like the pointy-hair-ish
name!), if other programs are also trying to access the audio device, one
is likely to run into odd behaviour.

Anyway, all of this is consistent with any sound problems I've ever
observed.  Reports to the contrary are welcome.

A.

Andrew Sullivan
<ajsulliv@mcmaster.ca> <---- worse
<asullivan@sprint.ca>  <---- better (use this one!)