Re: A response to myself for the Nth time? :)

Andrew Sullivan (ajsulliv@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:40:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Craig Maloney wrote:

> If the
> developers wanted to issue out a tamer default theme (something like a
> default NextSTEP theme), I'm certain I would try it again. As it stood, I
> didn't know whether to begin with the desktops, the wharf, or the windows
> decorations.
>
> Is there a .steprc to ~/GNUStep/Afterstep conversion utility?

I hate it when my e-mail makes me angry.  But, for God's sake, it's not
for nothing that documentation is written.

The previous authors of the FAQ, and now I, have spent a whole lot of time
trying to answer questions like these.  The .steprc compatibility is
addressed _directly_ in the current FAQ.  What is even more foolish in the
above comments is the complaint about the default looks and feels.  On my
system (1.4.5.55N6) I have no fewer than 22 _included_ looks.  The README
in the tarball even points this out, and encourages people to play with
these things.

If you can't be bothered to Read The Fine Material avaialable for your
programs, you should go back to some place where they hold your hand and
tell you that everything will be all right, so long as you do things as
they want you to.  I have no interest in keeping up UNIX's famed cryptic
nature for its own sake, but the price of real power and flexibility is a
little bit of learning.  If one cannot even be bothered to read some few
pages of documentation -- the README is only 8 screens long! -- one
deserves no sympathy at all.

I know everyone is on about making Linux easier for new users, in order to
obtain World Domination and a Victory over That Other Unmentionable
Company.  It'll be a Pyrrhic victory if it comes at the cost of utility.
READ!

A.

Andrew Sullivan
<ajsulliv@mcmaster.ca> <---- worse