Re: Good bye AfterStep ??

J. Neil Doane (root@yeah.indstate.edu)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:12:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 mmarques@fierro.frsf.utn.edu.ar wrote:
> >No, not really. But it seems a little ridiculous to have to go through 3
> >levels of directories to get to 1 file that changes 1 thing.
>
> I think this is a point were almost everyone has a point in common. They
> should have put it all in a ~/Afterstep directory and not that stupid
> ~/G/L/A directory.

This has been discussed many times and it seems that no one is ever
satisfied.  The ~/G/L/A structure is built to comply with GNUstep
standards...when GNUstep is complete and developers start churning out
"GNUstep compliant" apps I have a feeling that this style of configuration
will be a great boon to AS (isn't WM GNUstep-compliant too?).  As far as
I'm aware, the developer has kept the option available to use the old
.steprc configuration file so what I suggest to those not satisfied with
either the .steprc config file or the ~/G/L/A config structure is to
submit a third config method, maybe to the list(?), and if it makes sense
and a lot of people agree that your method is something AS should have I'm
betting it wouldn't be hard to convince the developer to add it.
Guylhem's been really good about adding features that people want in AS.
(And lest we take that for granted, try dropping a note to MicroSuck
suggesting a new feature for Windows98B and see if it appears in the next
OS release.)

Neil