Re: Good bye AfterStep ??

Steve Ki-Won Lee (
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:36:39 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Jan Sacharuk wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Steve Ki-Won Lee wrote:
> @>On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, tildouf wrote:
> @>
> @>-snip-
> @>> For me, the new AfterStep, since the 1.0, is a new window
> @>> manager. And i hope the developers of AS will continue
> @>> to improve my favorite Window Manager.
> @>
> @>Amen to that!!
> @>
> like the fact that there's a list for the WM even if it does attract
> people like you that are pompous enough to call me 'narrowminded' and
> tell me to 'stop bitching' simply because I like an old version
> better.

That's rather perplexing, aren't you the one of the group of people who
_are_ complaining because of how "bloated" AS has become just because you
have to go thru the whopping 3 directory level structures to change
something?  Someone suggested a very good idea yesterday and ie., create
a symlink.  Those with open minds will look for creative ways to resolve
problems; those with narrow minds......

Also, there _IS_ a reason for having the hierchial structure as someone so
graciously pointed out.  If the developers didn't created the G/L/A
structure in AS, I have a feeling that someone from the same group would
complain that it's not GNUStep compliant.  Someone else who was
complaining mentioned that he'll give WindowMaker a try, hmmm...another
perplexing remark, since WM uses the same G/whatever/WM dir structure.

It comes down to this for me after hearing people complaining about the
difficulty of customizing and configuring the newer version of AS after a
few months--they don't like the hierchial structure--that by far has been
the general consensus of the complaining voices.  Well, Get Over It!  If
you're using 1.0 cause you don't like the newer version, then kudos to you
and _STOP_ wasting bandwith to complain.  And please don't gimme some
petty smark alec remark about how I'm doing the same thing here; I was
driven to it.

> Get off your high (DEAD) horse, pal.

If trying to provide some light into dark, stale and narrow minds is
guilty of the above, then I'll gladly server a lifetime sentence for it.