Re: AfterStep Error Log

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:59:20 -0400 (EDT)

On 1 Sep 1998, Doug Alcorn wrote:

> What about when Wharf launches an application that doesn't start, or
> if the startmenu doesn't launch an application correctly?  Do those
> messages go into .xsession-errors?  I haven't seen any there.

Ok, now this I don't know, because I don't use xdm.  If starting from the
command line, you'd give

	$ startx > asdebug 2>&1

to redirect the output to a file, which you could then look at later.  I
presume that xconsole is both STDOUT and STDERR in xdm (is this right?
Anyone?  I'd like to know, so I could answer this question in future).  So
you need to redirect that somehow.  The people who really know what
they're doing around here (I'm not one of 'em!) will be able to tell us
how to do this.

                                   *  *  *