Re: Questions re setup....HELP ME PLEASE...im loosing hair FAST!!!

Ferri Andy Ch. (chandy@indo.net.id)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:37:06 +0700

--------------F5E3548667694A15C4A5F615

Matt Lemsing wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have spent the last wekk ripping my hair out trying to get afterstep to
> work, to no avail. This is what I have done....
>
> 1) I have installed the RPM version, and then started x and it looked no
> different...i tried to find the .xinitrc file (to no avail) so i could add
> "exec afterstep"...but didnt due to not being able to find the file.
>
> 2) Tried to install the *.tgz version; i unpacked it alright but when it
> came to installing, i could only get as far as ./configure because it then
> gave errors and wouldnt go any furthjer...
>
> Question is - what do i do next to get the silly thing working?? I am
> currently using FVWM95 as my window manager and desperatley want to get a
> better lookindesktop.
>
> aslo, when i finally get it going and can download some .steprc files, how
> do i get the desktop to look like the ones i have downloaded the .steprc
> files from??

hi,

duno which version your've been trying to use but the most stable I use is
1.4pre6 (get this one first, you'll admired it).
1) just create one at your own home dir (~/.xinitrc) wich contain only exec
afterstep or just afterstep
2) what errors ?
Answer is - this is the most great thing in the whole world ;) try 1) first.

when you finnaly get it going, you better ger 1.5beta and join the club ! ;).

Best regards,
Ferri Andy Ch.

--------------F5E3548667694A15C4A5F615

<HTML>
Matt Lemsing wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi there.

<P>I have spent the last wekk ripping my hair out trying to get afterstep
<BR>work, to no avail. This is what I have done....

<P>1) I have installed the RPM version, and then started x and it looked
no
<BR>different...i tried to find the .xinitrc file (to no avail) so i could
add
<BR>"exec afterstep"...but didnt due to not being able to find the file.

<P>2) Tried to install the *.tgz version; i unpacked it alright but when
it
<BR>came to installing, i could only get as far as ./configure because
it then
<BR>gave errors and wouldnt go any furthjer...

<P>Question is - what do i do next to get the silly thing working?? I am
<BR>currently using FVWM95 as my window manager and desperatley want to
get a
<BR>better lookindesktop.

<P>aslo, when i finally get it going and can download some .steprc files,
how
<BR>do i get the desktop to look like the ones i have downloaded the .steprc
<BR>files from??</BLOCKQUOTE>
hi,

<P>duno which version your've been trying to use but the most stable I
use is 1.4pre6 (get this one first, you'll admired it).
<BR>1) just create one at your own home dir (~/.xinitrc) wich contain only
<I>exec afterstep</I> or just <I>afterstep</I>
<BR>2) what errors ?
<BR>Answer is - this is the most great thing in the whole world ;) try
1) first.

<P>when you finnaly get it going, you better ger 1.5beta and join the club
! ;).

<P>Best regards,
<BR>Ferri Andy Ch.</HTML>

--------------F5E3548667694A15C4A5F615--