Re: startx toasts AfterStep start directory

Chuck Mead (chuck@moongroup.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:29:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Kevin Chu wrote:

> I customised my start menu (this is AfterStep 1.4.5.3 and Red Hat
> Linux 5.1), adding things like LyX, Acrobat Reader, and Communicator
> to it.  I made a copy of /usr/share/afterstep/autoexec in my
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/ directory and commented out the WinList.
> Everything was working great.  Then I finally decided to remove the
> AfterStepDoc and Red Hat Linux Installation Guide from the start
> menu.  I couldn't find a way to do this so I edited
> /usr/share/afterstep/start/*.  I just removed the AfterStepDoc and
> RHLIG.
>
> Now, every time I type startx, the AfterStepDoc and RHLIG are back on
> the start menu, and the additions I made are gone.  Somewhere, after I
> type startx, AfterStep overwrites my
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/start/ directory.
>
> Where does it happen?  How do I prevent the overwriting?
>
> I think the problems started when I edited the global stuff in
> /usr/share/afterstep/.  Because of the long Linux uptimes, I don't
> type startx that often, and my memory is sort of fuzzy as to what
> caused this behaviour.  If I put a backup of my ~/.../start directory
> back in place and just restart AfterStep (by hitting the green
> recycley thing on the button bar) the menu is fixed, but only until I
> startx again.
>
> Kevin

Hey Kev... you know I'm watching right? <grin>

Seriously though, I'm quite interested in the answer to this question
'cause I'm gonna document it on my web site.  It's a common problem
witha lot of folks.

Cheers!

--
Chuck Mead, CEO - Moongroup Consulting, Inc.
<chuck@moongroup.com>

Sometimes I wonder if I'm in my right mind.  Then it passes off and I'm
as intelligent as ever.
                -- Samuel Beckett, "Endgame"