Re: afterstep crash

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, giorgio angiolini wrote:

> I have just download the new beta version of afterstep (beta1).
> I run afterstep on an old machine !! a digital mips with Ultrix (X11R4).
>
> When  I start the new afterstep my Xserver (Xws) crash !!!
> What can I do ???

Please don't take this comment the wrong way, but a report of this nature
is not too helpful.  In order to gather any info about what's going wrong,
people need to know several things.  First, were you using AS before?  I
don't know if anyone can get / has got AS working under X11R4.  Second,
did you notice anything going wrong when you compiled?  Third, what errors
came out when you crashed?

These three things, at least, will help in understanding where the problem
is.  For stability, though, I don't reccommend 1.5b1: it's just not ready
yet.  (That said, I have to point out that 1.5 is nice -- noticably faster
on my machine than 1.4.5.55N6 [I guess because it's smaller?], and with
some very nice features.)

                                   *  *  *