Re: startx toasts AfterStep start directory

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:45:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, David Mihm wrote:

> The options are as follows:
> 1) rpm -e Afterstep ; then get the official non-RedHat-m4-processing
> version from a download site near you listed at www.afterstep.org .
> 2) create an ~/.Xclients and ~/.xinitrc file with just "afterstep" in
> them, this will bypass the m4 processing calls in the default (RedHat)
> startx process.
>
> 	I believe this to be accurate, as this was the solution someone
> else has posted to this list.  If this (2)does not work for you please
> post again.

Ugh.  I'll be damned if I'll be trying out RedHat again anytime soon then
if it's screwing around like that.  I blew linuxconf off the machine in
the first 24 hours because I will *not* abide by some program which will
try to second guess my system configuration.  About a week later I was
happily back to Slackware and actually getting things accomplished then.
I suppose I should probably send my opinions on this behaviour to the
developers at RedHat.  I just want you to confirm...  Redhat's
configuration is actually doing something OTHER than just running
~/.xinitrc as a shell script once X is started?  (Screwing around with
this is tampering with the way XFree86 works, which is something I don't
approve of either.)