Re: startx toasts AfterStep start directory

Paul Keefer (paul@bavaria.jccbi.gov)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:20:02 -0500

I had a similar problem and found a slightly different solution.

I am using xdm and in the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession file there is a section
that looks like this:

if [ -x "$startup" ]; then
        exec "$startup"
elif [ -x "$HOME/.Xclients" ]; then
        exec "$HOME/.Xclients"

I had a .xsession file in my home directory, but it apparently wasn't being
used.  The problem was that the permissions didn't allow for execute, so
the /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients file was being called, and that clobbers the
~/G/L/A directory structure.  Once I changed the ~/.xsession file to mode
700 everything worked fine.  All errors are sent to .xsession-errors now
too.

I  hope this helps some.

Oh, this is a standard RedHat 5.1 installation too.