Re: Wharf wish list for transparent tiles

Doug Alcorn (alcornd@earthlink.net)
19 Sep 1998 10:18:15 -0400

Tomas Duewiger <td@music-satellite.de> writes:

> Doug Alcorn <alcornd@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > Ethan <allanon@crystaltokyo.com> writes:

> > >  Are you using 1.5beta4?  If so, try making a 64x64 transparent xpm and
> > >using it for the wharf tile.
> > >

> > I downloaded and compiled 1.5beta4 with no patches.  The wharf does the
> > same thing under 1.5b4 as 1.5p9 when you use a transparent tile, it gives
> > it a black background.

I had a problem with not uninstalling 1.5pre9 and 1.4.55 before I
installed 1.5beta4.  This caused me to run conflicting versions of
different parts of AfterStep.  Cleaned all that up and 1.5beta4 works fine.

> I also made a 64x64 trasperent pixmap, to test this and here it worked. I
> use 1.5beta4 with Sasha's Pager and a jpeg background. I can see the
> background behind the wharf and behind the folders. But since I use a i486
> it took too much CPU. The animation is that slow that it becomes
> unuseable. But it works.

I am using the transparent wharf tile on my Pentium 133 with 48MB
RAM.  I also have an unaccellerated XServer (Xfree86 SVGA).  I am not
noticing any problems using the transparency.  In fact, all of my
*terms are Eterms with transparency and shading turned on.  I do
notice some lag when I change screeens in reloading the Eterms on that
new page.  The lag is less than 5 seconds so I can live with it for as
cool as it looks.

Note that you have to use Esetroot for setting the background image
for Eterm.  This is redundant with the Pager setting the background
also, so I am using Pager_noxpm.

My desktop is getting to look pretty cool.  As soon as I get my menus
straitened out, I will post a screen shot somewhere.

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo )  (Fledgling XEmacs User)