Again: Poorly Behaved Applications

Doug Alcorn (alcornd@earthlink.net)
01 Sep 1998 12:06:23 -0400

Is there noone that can take a stab at this?  I understand that the
application is poorly behaved.  I can refine my question some.  Is it
possible for an X application to bypass the window manager?  This
particular application appears to be statically linked in with some
toolkit (probably motif).  Is it possible for something like motif to
bypass the window manager?

I have noticed several other peculiar behaviors as well.  The circulat
and stays on top functions are totally porked.  If I use AS to move an
application to the back or skip to the next one, sometimes the
window I am trying to move off of reasserts itself to the foreground.
This effectively prevents me from moving to another window.  Also,
when trying to minimize that application, it creates an icon but
remains visible.  If I then click on the icon, the application will
actually minimize.

If I could leave the application I would; but, I can't.  Can we know
for sure that this is an application problem and not a window manager
problem? Is it possible that this app has some peculiar stuff it is
communicating with AS and AS doesn't know how to handle it?

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo )  (Fledgling XEmacs User)