Re: AppsBackingStore etc

Doug Alcorn (alcornd@earthlink.net)
21 Sep 1998 11:08:40 -0400

Francis GALIEGUE <desdemona@mail.cpod.fr> writes:

> Thanks, taken notice - but one problem remains: I want to tail
> /var/log/messages, and only root can do so. And I want to be able to see
> it as a normal user too...

I know this is a security hole, but my box runs isolated and I am the
only user for the most part.  Here is how I overcame that problem:

$ ls -lad
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     root         3072 Sep 20 04:02 ./
$ ls -ld /var/log
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     root         3072 Sep 20 04:02 /var/log/
$ ls -l /var/log/messages
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root         1044 Sep 21 10:42 /var/log/messages
$ ls -l /var/log/maillog
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Sep 20 04:02 /var/log/maillog
$

I simply changed the permissions on the file.  You may get the 'su -c'
thing to work; however, the problem  :) with 'su' is that it asks for
a password.  I don't know how rt will handle this or where the
password prompt will come up.

Anyway, that is the best I can do without sinking more time into it.
My fix is good enough for my circumstance.  Hope this helps some...

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo )  (Fledgling XEmacs User)