Re: AppsBackingStore etc

Albert Dorofeev albert@mail.dma.be
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:20:42 +0200 (CEST)

Doug Alcorn writes:
> Francis GALIEGUE <desdemona@mail.cpod.fr> writes:
>
> > Thanks, taken notice - but one problem remains: I want to tail
> > /var/log/messages, and only root can do so. And I want to be able to see
> > it as a normal user too...
> >

> I know this is a security hole, but my box runs isolated and I am the
> only user for the most part.  Here is how I overcame that problem:
>
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root         1044 Sep 21 10:42 /var/log/messages

Actually, read permissions alone would be enough, I think...

Another variation on this theme: why don't you try to
do sudo tail -f /var/log/messages ?
You can set up sudo to allow you to run tail command
as a superuser and theoretically this should work
just fine.

Albert

--
Albert Dorofeev albert@mail.dma.be http://bewoner.dma.be/Albert/