Re: AS Apps: where to get?

Andrew Sullivan (
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:05:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, David Churchill wrote:

> I've recently installed after step and I was wondering where do I get
> all the "as" apps that are referenced in the wharf file?

Well, which ones?  Not all the files there referenced are AS apps.
(Netscape is an obvious example; but in some versions it is mentioned in
the wharf file.)

> Also the directory structure in my home directory is not exatly the one
> specified in the FAQ.  The specified directory does exist under
> /usr/share/afterstep, the one in my home directory
> (~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep) only has entries for the directory
> non-configurable and an empty file named .workspace-state.  Is this a
> problem? If so, why and how do I fix it.

No, not a problem.  The latest versions of AS default to the
/usr/share/afterstep (or other install directory -- this changes
especially with v. 1.5, because v.1.5 uses an install script that allows
you to specify this) for configuration information in the absence of
~/G/L/A files.  In other words, if you want to change something, copy the
relevant file from /u/s/a to ~/G/L/A, and edit that to change your own

> Lastly, I don't have sgml-tools so the docs weren't installed when I
> installed AfterStep.  Do I have to go through a complete re-install
> after I get sgml-tools?

I gather that, even if you _did_ have sgml-tools, the docs (really, just
the FAQ) would not have been converted correctly.  You can get a gzipped
tarball of the html version of the FAQ from or at the
mirrors mentioned when you finger me (see my .sig for instructions).  The
man pages probably were installed when you installed afterstep (as they
don't rely on sgml-tools), but they are mostly slightly out of date.
(They're still useful, though!).

Andrew Sullivan | (better)| (worse)
                                   *  *  *
'finger -l' to find the AfterStep FAQ file.