Re: Stupid problem

Ron Thompson (
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:23:00 -0700

> Ron Thompson writes:
> > Okay, after not even being able to get Afterstep 1.5Beta1 or Beta2 to run,
> > I decided to take a chance on Beta4.  It runs, and wonderfully, and I LOVE
> > all the new things, even though I do kinda agree with the other guy about
> > simplicity.  But... I can't seem to get AS to run from XDM... it'll run
> > with xinit just fine, but that's it.  Is there a way to force xdm into AS,
> > or is there a configuration step I'm missing?  Thanks for any help, the
> > older AS's worked fine with xdm, just none of the new ones.  8-/
> When using xdm you need to modify the ~/.Xsession, for example that way
> that it reads your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.Xclients.
> ~/.Xsession has to be executable.
> But this problem shouldn't be a problem with afterstep, since xdm only
> executes the respective binary, maybe you should call it with it's
> complete path, since the new versions live in /usr/local/bin.

Okay, I checked it all out, and .Xsession is executable (I use the
systemwide one in /etc/X11/xinit/), my .xinitrc and .Xclients are okay,
and I tried the complete path (which didn't make sense to me since it
reads the location of afterstep from the /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients - which
I tried with and without the current path), all to no avail.
Why would it work from xinit, and not xdm?  As far as I can tell all the
correct config files are right.  If I was to uninstall Beta4, and
install something like 1.4.55N6, it would work (it did last time I
checked, but I'm too lazy to check now)
Please help!  This is annoying!  I have to start afterstep by using xdm
-session afterstep (which for some reason only starts a terminal window
in xdm when I log on), and then type afterstep & into the terminal
window.  I then have to keep that terminal window active, and if
I accidentally close it, it shuts down and there goes my work.  8-/
Thanks to anyone who can tackle this!

    |     E-mail:     |
    |          ICQ: 4213537  (Wax66)         |
    |       |