Re: Stupid problem

Ron Thompson (
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:46:26 -0700

Yeah, I have tried all permutations.  Exec afterstep, exec /path/to/afterstep,
afterstep, and /path/to/afterstep.  It doesn't make any difference.
Another person suggested I put afterstep as my first wm in /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients,
but it already is.  I modified Xclients to reflect the real path to afterstep since
it wasn't working at first, but that didn't help either (this was a while ago).
This is really frustrating, since there is no problem running it from xinit (well,
except that I can't use xdm...)
Thanks for the ideas, tho, guys!
I may just have to ditch Afterstep once again, even though it's my favorite wm.

J.D. Jordan wrote:

>         Are you calling exec afterstep as the last line of one of those files?  or
> just afterstep?  You might try using exec afterstep, or exec
> /path/to/afterstep .
> JD
> At 12:23 AM 9/23/98 -0700, Ron Thompson wrote:
> >> Ron Thompson writes:
> >Okay, I checked it all out, and .Xsession is executable (I use the
> >systemwide one in /etc/X11/xinit/), my .xinitrc and .Xclients are okay,
> >and I tried the complete path (which didn't make sense to me since it
> >reads the location of afterstep from the /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients - which
> >I tried with and without the current path), all to no avail.
> >Why would it work from xinit, and not xdm?  As far as I can tell all the
> >correct config files are right.  If I was to uninstall Beta4, and
> >install something like 1.4.55N6, it would work (it did last time I
> >checked, but I'm too lazy to check now)
> >Please help!  This is annoying!  I have to start afterstep by using xdm
> >-session afterstep (which for some reason only starts a terminal window
> >in xdm when I log on), and then type afterstep & into the terminal
> >window.  I then have to keep that terminal window active, and if
> >I accidentally close it, it shuts down and there goes my work.  8-/
> >Thanks to anyone who can tackle this!
> >  -Ron

    |     E-mail:     |
    |          ICQ: 4213537  (Wax66)         |
    |       |