Re: Help w/Looks&Feels (upg from 1.0->1.4)

Ferri Andy Ch. (
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 10:50:53 +0700

*MoNsTeR* wrote:

> I used AS 1.0 happily for a while, and finally decided it was time to
> upgrade, and the process is turning out to be a #$%^&!.  I have been
> completely unsuccessful in getting a look or feel file that *I create* to
> load *AT ALL*, no matter whether it's in
> /usr/share/afterstep/[looks|feels] or
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/[looks|feels].  Overall, I find the transition
> from ~/.steprc to ~/GNUstep to be poorly implemented and simply, A Bad
> Thing, but I know that yelling at the authors isn't going to make my
> problem go away.
> I have been able to get AS to read my customizations *ONE WAY*, that's by
> putting a feel.24bpp in~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-customizable/feels
> which seems very ridiculous, seeing as how the name of the dir is
> "non-customizeable".
> Really, what I need are some basic pointers on how to customize 1.4 as
> opposed to 1.0, seeing as how no one seems to have published this on a web
> site, and the *authors* certainly haven't provided any documentation...
> any help would be greatly appreciated...
>                                         *MoNsTeR*
>                                         KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
>                                         (headers may be bogus)
> --
>    WWW:
>    FTP:
>    MAIL:

Just put look files in ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/looks, and feel files in
~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/feels, then
"startmenu->Quit->update  startmenu".

Leave "non-customizeable" as is, I never touch that, and I think AfterStep
will update it and using it internally,  AfterStep developer, please confirm
this one ;). I'm an ordinary user myself.

Best regards,
Ferri Andy Ch.