Re: Documentation for configuration settings

Ethan (
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:29:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Andrew Morkunas wrote:
> > How do you set up a window so its background  is transparent?
> If this is the "how do you get an xterm to be transparent" question, then
> you'll be shot at dawn.  Read the FAQ.  (The "transparent *term" question
> qualifies, I think, as the MFAQ.)  Otherwise, the decision is pretty much
> up to the application.   I know of no actual "transparent background"
> apps, except for eterm.  (Technically, roottail doesn't qualify, I think.
> Your views may vary.  As a professor I respect always says, "It'd be a
> dull world if we all always agreed.")

Since everyone on this list loves this topic so much, I'll clarify this a
little. :)

Even Eterm is not transparent, though it does a pretty decent job of
faking it.  Eterm (with the --trans option), will try to determine your
desktop background, and display it in the background of the terminal
window.  AfterStep's Pager does not currently set the background in a
way which Eterm recognizes, so you'll need to use Esetroot to set your
desktop background to use --trans.  Note that Pager will support Eterm
in 1.5beta5.

Ethan Fischer