Re: Netscape via Wharf

Steve Ki-Won Lee (
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 23:39:17 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, *MoNsTeR* wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Steve Ki-Won Lee wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Does anyone know if netscape-navigator 4.06 can be opened up with a
> > geometry command?  I want 855x810+1375+22 and when I put that in my wharf
> > file, as:
> >
> > *Wharf netscape netscape.xpm Exec "-" netscape -geometry
> > 855x810+1375+22 -install &  (this is all one line of course)
> >
> > but it never comes up as the way I specified.  Would this be netscape and
> > X problem or AS?  Nevertheless, can someone please tell me what I'm doing
> It's a dumb Netscape thing.  Try this:
> netscape -xrm "Netscape.Navigator.geometry: 855x810+1375+22" -install &

I did give the above a try both as a command line and in wharf, but in the
latter, it doesn't even try to bring it up and with the former, it gives
me this error message in the xterm:

[riprock@HAL riprock]$ netscape -xrm "Netscape.Navigator.geometry:
855x810+1375+22" -install &
[1] 2434
[riprock@HAL riprock]$ Warning: Shell widget "Navigator" has an invalid
geometry specification: ""
And, a small window pops up along with the Navigator with the message:

Netscape is unable to find the file or direcotry named:
Check the name and try again.  (And has that small "OK" button)

Someone also suggested "-geometry ==855x810+225+20 -install &" but that
just randomly places the browser and always says:

[riprock@HAL riprock]$ netscape -geometry =855x810+225+20
-ignore-geometry-prefs -install & (this all being 1 line)
[5] 3184
[4]   Bus error               netscape -geometry =855x810+225+20 -install

This Bus error perplexes me.  And I edited my database file to have
netscape start on desk 1 as such:

Style   "netscape"      StartsOnDesk 1

Can any of you guys out there shed some light into this for me please?  I
should mention that I'm running netscape-navigator-4.06-2 and
netscape-common-4.06-2 as well as rpms.  Also, I'm running
AfterStep-  Thank you in advance.