Re: asload uses too many colors

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:29:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, it was written:
>
> > When I tried to put asload in wharf all my applications use the wrong
> > colors, and when I try to run asload from Xterm or the Run Command form,
> > I get the error not enough free color cells. It seems to me that asload
> > should only need to use two colors to run, so why does it hog all the
> > colors? Please let me know if there is a way around this problem.
>
> I doubt it does.  I suspect, instead, that you already have all the other
> colours allocated.  When a new set of colours is allocated, all the ones
> in the first set get buggered.
>
> This is particularly true of "composite" colours, which require more than
> one of the standard 256 to display in the colourmap.  Try picking a colour
> which is _exactly_ the same as another one already defined on the screen.
> Now, if that is something you've already done, or if it doesn't work,
> you've got me!

To this end, I typically use royalblue on all my LED displays, even though
I have 16bpp everywhere (I can't stand 256 anymore) and it looks quite
nice, but asload does use more than just one color...  It's using black
(of course) which is probably already defined somewhere (hehe) or you've
got problems, the color you specify, as well as a less saturated version
of the color chosen to show niced load.  (Run rc5 and you notice this bit
REAL quick.  Heheh.)

Not bitching, just a slight technical addenum.

...now if I can just get the asload guy to break the percent-meter and
time left displays away from the routines for the battery and plug icons,
so I can do the same without having to make green into blue so my
notebook can be all spiffy and use the same color for all the mock digital
displays.  :) (pretty please!)

(Why royalblue?  Because it's about the exact shade of the highly
expensive blue LEDs that were invented a few years ago.  Just because
they're fake doesn't mean they can't look expensive.  HEheheh)