Re: Saving menu settings in AfterStep

Michael S Costello (
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 22:56:55 -0500

Jonathan Jump wrote:

> > >   Make it read only.
> >
> > I did a "chmod a-w" and it still deletes the files when I startup X.
> > Note this is only with files in ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/start and
> > associated subdirectories.
> I had the same problem after recently installing RedHat.  Copy
> /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to ~/.Xclients. Then delete or comment out the
> code starting after the line:
> '# we have to start up afterstep'
> and ending before:
> 'env > "$HOME"/Xrootenv.0' in .Xclients.
> Basically you just need a .Xclients file in your home directory that does
> it's job and doesn't execute the code I told you to delete. While you are
> at it also copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc and modify it to your
> liking. Don't be afraid to experiment with either of these files. If you
> are not using RedHat there will probably be some differences in the
> directory path I gave you, but the solution may still be the same.
> Good Luck!
> JoNathan JuMp
> --
>    WWW:
>    FTP:
>    MAIL:
I too have the same problem with Afterstep and RedHat.  Kind of Annoys

As root I attempted JoNathan JuMp 's fix and it did not work.  Though
I'll probably try
a few more things.
I'm wondering, how many of the people on the list who are Afterstep
Users have the same problems?

If there is a good sized grop maybe some teamwork and a Mini-Howto would
be in order.
I am up to working with any of you to help fix this problem.  One nice
end result of it
would be, instead of just a quick hack or workaround to address it; I
would envision a
way to rip out Redhats default X configuration altogether (at least the
parts that annoy)
and perhaps suggest a change in procedure for the folks in NC.

Thas all