Re: Eterm tiling and Esetroot

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:40:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kirk Bauer wrote:

> I just resubscribed to this list after refusing to move past
> AfterStep 1.0 for a while... but I am now using 1.4.5... finnaly.
> I like it... it just took a while to figure out how I wanted to
> configure it...
>
> Where can I find Eterm?
>
> Also, I have seen terminal windows with transparent backgrounds...
> what terminal program will do this and where do I find it?

Either Eterm or rxvt can be used for this, although neither of them are
really transparent.  If you adjust the offset for the pixmap in your
terminal window you can make them both *look* like they're transparent,
but they won't really be.  Rxvt is better for this (imho) if you're just
looking to place a terminal window on the screen which won't ever move,
but Eterm is what you'll need to use if you want to be able to move the
window around and have it's background stay in sync with the root window.
Even so, Eterm is faking it by checking what it's new location is and
adjusting the offset of it's background pixmap accordingly after each
move.  Eats up huge amounts of CPU time, but it looks nice.  Due to the
way X is put together, true transparent term windows will probably be a
long time in coming, but it all depends on how desperate Mandrake and
Raster get to be the first to make a real one.  ;)

> It seems that Eterm lets you put an image in the terminal
> window... right?

Yes, and so does rxvt, which is what Eterm is based on.