Re: running on a PPC

Julian Cross (julianc@newsguy.com)
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:41:52 -0800

Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you have Xpmac up and running
with any other window manager yet? Are you running from on-board video,
or do you have a 3rd party video card?

There are more recent releases of Xpmac that have fixed a lot of bugs,
and there's also now another X server for powermacs called XFree68 (heh).
I don't have the links at the tip of my fingers but I can get them to you
if needed.

Then again if Xpmac is working with other window managers, especially
earlier versions of afterstep, check your startx args or .xinitrc to see
what resolution/bpp X is trying to start with.

What size is your monitor and what rez do you run it at? Since the 7200
on-board video maxes out at 4 mb and you may have as little as 1 mb vram
you may not have enough vram to run at 32bpp at whatever rez you are
using.

Hope something here is helpful...

regards,