Re: Problems compiling

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:48:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 root@avalon.lib.indiana.edu wrote:

> in my latest attempts at compiling AfterStep-1.4.5.55N6 (latest ???) i

No, not really the latest, but close.  Certainly the latest on
ftp.afterstep.org.  You can get more recent stuff as "development"
releases.

> have come up with the following error that killed make:
> 	(Please note, that i have sgml tools installed, and i get the
> 	"...cannot open -lieee: no such..." error frequently)

The "sgmltools" error doesn't kill make; or, at least, it's not a fatal
error: sgmltools is, I understand, not detected by make because of a bug
in autoconf.  All that it's needed for is the compiling of the FAQ from
the SGML source file.  Since the newer FAQ is out, the FAQ you have isn't
worth getting anyway.

BTW, the latest FAQ is, as of this moment, only available from David
Mihm's site.  So, if you use the instructions in myu .sig, go to David's
site.  (Many thanks and much praise to David Mihm for being such a
fantastic supporter of AS documentation!)

Yours,

                                   *  *  *